In celebration of all things British, they will drive a 1970 Series II E-Type Jaguar, restored by their late father and Giles' 1973 Porsche 911T. With a combined age of nearly 90 years between the cars, the brothers will need to keep their mechanical wits about them to keep them moving in the right direction.
1970 Series II E-Type Jaguar
The 1970 Series E-Type will be driven by Nick English, restored by Euan English, the brothers’ father over 35 years ago which has been serviced and health checked by Jaguar Land Rover Classic Ltd in Coventry.
1973 Porsche 911T
A 1973 Porsche 911T owned by Giles English for over 20 years which being driven as a daily car has become one of the family. The car has also been serviced and health checked by Tuthill Porsche near Banbury, Oxfordshire.
We sat down with Nick and Giles to find out what essentials they will be taking on their West Coast adventure…
- Sun cream - for Nick in his open top car and 40 degree heat!
- Globetrotter case to carry the spare parts for Nick’s car
- An oil truck for spare oil for Giles’ car
- Air conditioning units for both our cars
- Big Gun surfboard for our hook up with Bremont’s latest ambassador Mark Healey
- A translator for people to understand our accents
- Lots and lots of water for “ETYPE Death Valley “
- Last but not least, our Bremont watches, the AIRCO MACH1 and S300, along with the ALT1-C/BL, U-2/SS and the Wright Flyer, to keep on track of who's making better time!
The trip is quite arguably an endurance event. Inevitably there will be a few issues or breakages due to the age of the cars and the sheer mileage they are covering, but with plenty of spares and a lot of faith, the brothers are determined to make it to the end. They explained “This trip is actually quite hard core. There is no air conditioning and the seats are uncomfortable. A big problem with cars like these is overheating and you’re always slightly nervous about whether or not you’re going to make it to the end. But, it’s about the journey itself. It’s about the adventure and the fun of getting from A to B.”